Students Manage Their Learning
Start simple. Ask students to put together their learning plan for Genius Time, with the ultimate goal of equipping them with the skills to:
- identify what they want to accomplish,
- lay out how they’ll accomplish it (milestones, resources, what they need to learn), and
- assess their progress.
- What are the advantages of equipping students with the skills to manage their learning? Are these skills important later in life? What’s holding you back from starting now?
- If all of your students are managing their learning, how does that change your role as a teacher? What are the downsides if students own their learning?
- What are effective techniques that help students manage their learning?
- How much priority does this merit? How is student agency impaired in the world of standardized education?